Home arrow Museums and galleries
Museums and galleries

Split has a long tradition of collecting and caring for monuments. This interest appeared as early as the Renaissance.

At the beginning of the XVIth century, a collection of Antique stone epitaphs was stored in the home of the Split nobleman Dmino Papalic (today's City Museum) and they were described in one of his friend's, Marko Marulic's, tracts. The Archbishop's Museum was founded by mid-XVIIIth century, and in 1820 the Archeological Museum, the oldest Croatian Museum.

These were followed by the other museums and galleries in Split which keep and exhibit various forms of human achievements in this area where life, pulsating here since pre-historic times, has created a recognizable of autochtonous creativity and different outside influences.

Archaeological museum
Founded in 1820, the Archaeological Museum in Split is the oldest Museum in Croatia. It has a large stock of archaeological objects from prehistoric times, from the period of the Greek colonization of the Adriatic and from the Roman, Early Christian and early Medieval ages.
Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monuments
ImageThe Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monuments was founded in Knin in 1893. After WW II it was moved to Split and since 1976 it has been in the present building. The Museum has a rich collection of Early Medieval stone monuments and collections of weapons, tools, jewellery, coins and objects of everyday usage. Of special importance are the epigraphic monuments from the IXth to the XIIth century where we find engraved the names of Croatian kings and other eminent dignitaries.
City Museum of Split

ImageThe City Museum of Split was founded in 1946. It is located in the northeastern part of Diocletian's palace, within the complex of Medieval buildinqs at whose center is the Gothic palace of the Papalic family designed and built by the native master Juraj of Dalmatia and his stonecarvers and builders circle. Beautifully excuted are the courtyard with its richly decorated portal and loggia, the first floor hall with its lavish four-light, two-light and one-light windows and with the well preserved wooden ceiling. The Renaissance building with a fine window decoration completes the ensemble of the courtyard.

Ethnographic museum

It was founded in 1910. The ethnography of the whole of Dalmatia is on show. The most typical costumes of the region, some of which excel with their embroidery, are exhibited (the pieces from Ravni Kotari, Knin, Vrlika, Imotski, Poljica). Some feature a characteristic white embroidery (from Sinj, the Dalmatian hinterland) or lacework (from Primosten, Novigrad and Pag).

Art Gallery

The Gallery was founded in 1931. There is a permanent exhibition of paintings and sculptures from the XIVth century to the present day.

Gallery of Ivan Meštrović
The Gallery was founded on a donation from Ivan Mestrovic. It was opened in 1952 in the building Ivan Mestrovic had built according to his own plans from 1931 to 1939. The buildinq was intended as a combination of residential quarters, exhibition halls and ateliers for artists. Mestrovic lived here up to WWII.

Popular search

omis omis kinoebi